Is anyone out there married to a husband who’s not crazy about salads? I am, I am! And it wouldn’t be a big deal at all, except no matter how hard I try, I cannot eat an entire bag of salad myself before it goes bad.
I’ve found the answer though, y’all, and it’s BBQ Chicken Salad.
Sometimes I like to think of salad-making at my house as a game. What do we have that I can put in this salad to make it more appealing for the husband? While I keep mine traditional with cucumbers, tomato, and feta — I have to get creative with his. I’ll hard-boil eggs, cook bacon, chop carrots, shred cheese… whatever it takes to show him that salads don’t have to be just “lettuce and dressing.”
This BBQ Chicken Salad covers all the bases. It uses so many ingredients that we typically have on hand, it’s super summery, and it’s plain DELICIOUS. A keeper for sure.
Here’s what you’ll need for 2 salads:
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 4 chicken tenders
- BBQ sauce
- chopped onion
- can of corn
- shredded cheese
- lettuce, any kind of salad will do
- dressing of choice (my husband doesn’t use any dressing on his)
The beauty of this salad is you can add or take away whatever you want.
1. The first thing I do is start the eggs so that they can boil while I’m taking care of other things. Be sure to pour in some ice water when they’re done to cool them faster!
2. Cook the bacon. While it’s sizzling, defrost the chicken. This is also a good time to chop up the onion.
3. When the bacon is done, drain it between paper towels. Empty the corn into the same skillet and add the onion. Saute on medium stirring frequently for about 15 minutes (or until everything else is done.)
4. Grill the chicken, smothering it with BBQ sauce.
5. Shred the cheese, chop any other veggies you’re adding, crumble the bacon, and chop the eggs. When the chicken is done, chop it up as well.
6. At this point, you’re ready to assemble your ingredients! Lay down a bed of lettuce and cover with tomato, corn and onion mixture, cheese, bacon, eggs, and chicken.
And voila! You’re done and ready to chow down on one of the manliest salads around.
You know it’s good when your husband says, “I could eat this every night.” :)
Happy Thursday to you! XO